Wednesday, January 06, 2010
1. Taylor Swift - I'm not a country music fan. I'm not even a pop country music fan. Yet, somehow this little blondie with her ridiculously over-choreographed stage moves and lame-o "real life" drama has got me hooked. Suddenly, I stopped switching radio stations and began singing along at the top of my lungs. Is it the sweetly naive romanticism? The catchy beat? I don't know, but it's workin'.
2. The Real Housewives of Orange County, New York, New Jersey and Atlanta - Do I even need to explain this one? I've seen every episode of the OC shows since season 1, and I hate Vicki more with each one. I wish I could hug NY's Bethenny, and if offered the chance, I'd kick Krazy Kelly in her collagen-plumped mouth. The NJ ladies make me laugh soo hard, even more so now that I'm actually a NJ resident. And while I could do without some of the violent antics of the Hot-lanta mamas, I can't get enough of that nutcase Kim singing. I don't know what I'd do without you, Bravo programming!
3. Lady Gaga - I blame E for this one. Actually, it is probably more his guilty pleasure than mine. He's the one who came in from work crooning "Poker Face" when I hadn't even heard of this chick, yet. While I scolded him for listening long enough to know the words, I simutaneously committed them to memory, then found myself humming along days later. I almost dressed like her for Halloween (come on, that bird nest face would have made a killer costume and you know it!). I want to hate her, but I just can't do it.
4. Sweepstakes and Giveaways - I'm such a sucker! I must have entered over a thousand online sweepstakes and giveaways this year, from the huge and amazing to the paltry and pathetic. I still haven't won my dream home, an Allure makeover, or a million bucks, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I did win a case of chips, a KitchenAid Slow Cooker, several cookbooks, and some jewelery, so my luck's not all bad. I realize that this is a mostly fruitless endeavor and a huge waste of valuable time, but that little nagging "what if?" gets me every time.
5. Pancheros - No night out in Ann Arbor was complete without a late night visit to Pancheros for grub. I know it is disgusting to pig out on Mexican food at 3:00 in the morning, but it's almost impossible to resist a Chicken Veggie Quesadilla calling your name as you walk by. Plus, it's warm inside, which is a nice bonus when you forgot where you parked in the winter. They make the tortillas fresh, they never skimp on guac, and the guys who work there are as entertaining as the mini skirted college girls in 20 degree weather.
5. Blogging - I can't count how many hours I've spent this year writing blog posts. I just know that there are probably lots of more constructive things I could have been doing, like working towards my Masters Degree, volunteering at a homeless shelter, or curing cancer. I know I am meant to feel guilty about this (E reminds me on occasion!). But honestly, I feel more sane and creative and calm and inspired when I am blogging and reading blogs, so I don't plan on shelving it any time soon.
So now I'm wondering, what kept you obsessed this past year?
*Oops, looks like it is actually January 6th. How's that for lame? I wrote this, thought I posted it, then realized I never did. I don't think I'd started drinking yet, but you never know :)